December 15, 2016

Dance of the Elephants

The following day it was off to the jungle again for John, Krishna, and I but this time I opted to take a jeep tour so we could get to several places that we couldn’t get to by walking. Our goal for the day was to see either a wild rhinoceros or wild elephant, since we had accomplished our goal of seeing a wild tiger the day before.



ISO 500  f/13  1/40

As John and Krishna were getting our permit to enter the park I spotted a group of monkeys hanging out having some breakfast.



ISO 640  f/13  1/125

As I was taking this picture one of the larger males was stealthily sneaking into our jeep to try and steal our lunch.



ISO 400  f/13  1/40

The roads through the jungle were so picturesque in the morning.



ISO 400  f/13  1/500

We got here early in the morning and immediately heard some elephants rustling around in the trees.



ISO 400  f/13  1/320

As we sat patiently waiting for the elephants to show themselves I was visited by several butterflies.



ISO 500  f/14  1/640

After several hours of waiting we were rewarded by a ton of elephants! In total we counted 34 elephants in what seemed like two or possibly three groups.



ISO 500  f/14  1/125

The elephants were around for probably an hour, some of them decided to roll in the dirt.



ISO 500  f/14  1/160

Some of them decided to have a bit of fun playing with each other.



ISO 500  f/13  1/125

And some of them decided to play with each other in a different way.



ISO 500  f/13  1/160

My guide Krishna has been into the park over 2,200 days in the last 15 years and this was the first time he had ever seen wild elephants mating. I was lucky enough to see this on only my second day into the park.



ISO 500  f/14  1/320

After he finished he decided to run around in the sun to celebrate.



ISO 500  f/14  1/640

Watching the elephants in their natural environment was amazing.



ISO 500  f/14  1/160 BW

They’re beautiful even in black and white.



ISO 500  f/11  1/320

After the group(s) of elephants wandered off, we decided to come here in hopes of seeing a rhino.



ISO 500  f/14  1/640

As I sat in a tree waiting for a rhino, I was able to catch this eagle mid flight.



ISO 500  f/11  1/250

After about an hour and a half wait two rhinos made their appearance at the river.



ISO 500  f/11  1/200

Monkeys, elephants, butterflies, birds, rhinos, and more, a great second day in the park.

Related Posts
The 10 Hour Tour
After spending two nights in Kathmandu, my third day in Nepal was for getting to Bardia National Park in the Western part of Nepal. I chose to go to Bardia because it is not on the normal tourist track because of its remote location. It takes 15 hours by bus to get there and so I had chosen what I thought would be the simple and quick way to get there, by plane. After leaving my guest house around 7 a.m. for my 55 minute flight to Nepalgunj at 8:45, I didn't arrive at my lodge in Bardia until 5 p.m. that evening. My quick trip turned into a full day, but resulted in some decent pictures.   ISO 500  f/13  1/40 After a 1 hour and ...
The Bengal Tiger Waiting Game
After returning to the lodge after the bike tour, John and I were greeted by some new guests from Germany. Jörg and Katrin had arrived on their Royal Enfield earlier in the day. Like me, were undecided on how long they would be staying in Bardia. That evening we all had dinner together and I learned all about Jörg and Katrin's adventure. They have been driving all over the world for the last 16 months and with no end in sight! Check out their adventure at the Salted Life!! We decided that the next day we would all go on a walking tour into the park, and try to see a wild Bengal tiger!   ISO 800  f/8  1/50 Raksi made sure we were ...
A Final Raft
After a day of relaxing and photo editing it was time for my last day at Bardia National Park. I had originally wanted to camp overnight in the park, but with certain requirements of the park I couldn't afford to do it. Instead, I chose to canoe/raft down part of the Karnali river that runs through the park. John, Krishna, and I used an inflatable canoe and spent the day slowly and quietly making our way through the park.   ISO 500  f/11  1/500 After an early start, and having to raft for a while before entering the park, we first encountered some Black Storks along the bank of the river.   ISO 500  f/11  1/800 The ...